Three days into October and I still haven't decided. I can't seem to make up my mind. I've got one foot planted firmly on each side of the fence. It starts in less than a month. I should be planning already.
If you're lost, I'm talking about NaNoWriMo. I'm torn right down the middle about whether or not I will participate this year. The last two years were easy decisions. Of course I'd do it. Why wouldn't I? It's the best thing since sliced bread! Or the Internet. Or whatever super awesome thing you couldn't live without.
This year, though...oh, boy. I've got a full plate. And so I've resorted to making a Pros and Cons list. Here goes nothing:
1. I'd have a ton of words on a new project to work with when Projects One and Two are finished.
2. 50k in 30 days is fantastic practice at just letting go and writing. And isn't that practice we all need?
3. The sense of community from fellow NaNo-ers is unbelievable. Writers, in general, are an amazing group of people. But NaNo-ers? SO great!
4. I'd get a free proof copy for completing the 50k. And, let's face it, holding a hard copy of your book in your hands is one heck of a motivator.
5. Well, NaNo is just FUN.
1. I've got a full course load, including a math class I HAVE to pass. And math and I don't get along, so it'll take extra work.
2. I'm also working between 20 and 30 hours a week.
3. I've got a lack of fresh ideas. There are a couple old ones I can dig up and brush off, though.
4. Preparation for the winter holidays. Baking for Thanksgiving, Christmas shopping -- Black Friday, in particular -- random holiday parties that may crop up.
5. Two projects are in various stages of revisions. Shouldn't I work on one of those instead?
Oh, and I'm not putting this one in the Cons list because I'm so darn excited about it that it could never be a Con, but I've also got the LeAnn Rimes concert in mid-November, which will involve driving two hours to Detroit then staying overnight.
So, there you have it. My Pros and Cons list. Neck and neck. Of course. And, here, I thought it would help!
What do you think? Do either of these lists outweigh the other in terms of importance? Am I just over thinking it? Would YOU participate if you were me?